Some civil society organisations have recommended the Lagos state authorities on the way it’s dealing with the ravaging COVID-19 pandemic in a state with an estimated inhabitants of 23million folks.
Gbenga Komolafe, Secretary Common, Federation of Casual Employees of Nigeria (FIWON), Chief Raymond Gold,Coordinator, Housing and Neighborhood Improve,Nigerian Slum / Casual Settlement Federation (Federation), Dr Taibat Lawawson, Centre for Housing and Sustainable Growth, College of Lagos,.Dr. Temilade Sesan, Sankofa Coverage Lab, Betty Abah, Centre for Youngsters’s Well being Training,
Orientation and Safety (CEE-HOPE Nigeria), Olamide Udoma – Ejorh, Lagos City Growth Initiative, Deji Akinpelu, Rethink Cities Initiative, Folashade Adeboyejo, POLYBRIQ and Segun Ogunleye, Urbanovate Enterprise, signed the press assertion issued.
In response to the CSOs, COVID-19 testing and advocacy be prolonged to low earnings communities, with clear protocols on reporting and responding to suspected circumstances outlined, allowing for that these communities are densely populated
– That particular interventions in main and secondary well being care providers are given precedence, in addition to separating suspected COVID-19 circumstances from native communities to keep away from a spiraling an infection within the densely populated areas and for treating them safely.
We additionally observe with concern that the present palliative measures will not be reaching their desired impact, in that distribution is proscribed, thus propelling protest and violence in lots of low-income communities.
We due to this fact request the LASG to contemplate the next propositions to realize inclusive and sustainable Covid19 palliative take care of the susceptible:
– That LASG permits people, company and faith-based organisations with confirmed engagement in native communities to steer with the distribution of fabric help to those communities
– That LASG ought to think about a time restricted monetary help package deal to duly registered small-scale commerce and market cooperatives, which can be disbursed by means of particular person BVN accounts. Worldwide Growth Help can be utilized to offset the prices of such funds
– blended technique of money switch +in sort help be thought-about for the ladies in want, particularly for the unbanked.
– Attributable to the truth that Lagos depends on meals distribution networks from different components of Nigeria and
past, that the operative meals distribution chains be stored open – with transporters and native retailers allowed to maneuver round responsibly – through the lock down interval.
These meals distributors and market ladies are rendering important providers. We particularly suggest that the Neighborhoods Corps and native market associations help the enforcement of social distancing protocols for each patrons and sellers in these markets.
Conditions like these name for value management measures that may guarantee value stability
– That the Mile 12 merchants’ affiliation normalises costs and retains them fixed.
A subsidy mechanism wherein authorities pays the distinction to merchants in the event that they must promote beneath the associated fee value will be established for this era.
– That entry to free water and hand washing stations is ensured in all crowded communities
– That common clearing of waste is ensured in communities not lined by PSPs and LAWMA’s bridge mission
– That particular preparations must be made to offer short-term lodging and feeding for the homeless as a way to assure the necessities for social distancing and isolation for this very susceptible layer of the inhabitants.
We acknowledge and commend the efforts of the Lagos state authorities to comprise and mitigate the unfold of COVID-19throughout the state
We acknowledge the efforts of the state authorities to offer palliatives for the aged and susceptible, particularly these whose livelihoods have been disrupted by market closure and journey restrictions. We be aware that the city poor are essentially the most susceptible on this interval of world well being pandemic and financial uncertainty.
Fixed displacements over the previous many years have elevated overcrowding in lots of low -income areas, making all of the palliative measures much more essential.
We salute the efforts of all particular person and company entities supporting the efforts of LASG in these difficult instances and we gratefully acknowledge the solidarity of worldwide donors and growth organisations.